Why is kcpytkt not shipped in a normal installation?

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Wed Mar 6 12:23:29 EST 2019

On 3/6/19 8:41 AM, Daniel Peebles wrote:
> I noticed that there's a useful kcpytkt command in the source distribution
> but a standard build (and the various distro packages) doesn't seem to
> produce it in the destination. I can patch my makefile to add the tool but
> am wondering if it was a deliberate omission or just something that was
> dropped accidentally and forgotten.

kcpytkt and kdeltkt were added in late 2004, before my involvement in
the project.  From the version control history, it looks like it might
have been intended to add these commands to the install for Unix-like
platforms, but configure.in was not modified to generate their
makefiles, so the build system skips them during "make all" and "make
install".

The release notes for krb5 1.4 do say "New client commands kcpytkt and
kdeltkt for Windows," which acknowledges that they are only present in
KfW and not in the Unix build, but I haven't found any other discussion,
and no one appears to have commented much about these commands in the
intervening 15 years.

Can you describe your use case for kcpytkt?