.conf file in includedir

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Tue Mar 21 13:24:58 EDT 2017

On 03/21/2017 11:19 AM, Weijun Wang wrote:
>     "Including a directory includes all files within the directory whose
> names consist solely of alphanumeric characters, dashes, or underscores.
> Starting in release 1.15, files with names ending in ”.conf” are also
> included."
>
> My understanding of the old rule is to exclude OS-generated files like
> .DS_Store and desktop.ini, but is it safe to include all ".conf" files?
> At least I've heard that if you let a macOS access your non-Apple file
> system, it will likely to create a ._krb5.conf file beside your existing
> krb5.conf file.

We had mainly been concerned with package system artifacts such as
.rpmsave files.  However, editors and filesystems are also a possible
source of unintended duplicates.  I think it might be good to ignore
filenames beginning with ".", as these prefix-form name variants tend to
begin with "." so that they don't show up in ordinary directory listings.