Special character in hostname may cause problem for built-in test suite

Neng Xue neng.xue at oracle.com
Thu Sep 8 19:19:16 EDT 2016

Hi Tom,

On 09/ 8/16 04:42 AM, Tom Yu wrote:
> Let's drop the bugs address from the CC for now, because I'm not
> convinced this is our bug.
>
> Neng Xue <neng.xue at oracle.com> writes:
>
>> Recently I noticed there is a problem running MIT built-in test suite on
>> a machine with special symbols in its hostname.
>>
>> To be specific:
>>
>> My machine's hostname is neng-kz
>>
>> In this case, codes located in line 413 from
>>
>> src/lib/kadm5/unit-test/api.current/init-v2.exp
>>
>> will time/error out since it can only match special symbols '/@' as
>> specified in the regular expression. In my case, the hostname contains
>> symbol '-' which caused the expect script to error out.
>
> Could you quote part of dbg.log from a test run where that fails to
> match?  Are there any Solaris-specific changes that you've made to
> libkadm5 or the testing scripts?  I seem to recall seeing a Solaris
> change that prefers kadmin/FQDN for the kadmin service principal.

Following is the part of dbg.log which caused timeout:

--------------------------
puts $KADM5_ADMIN_SERVICE
kadmin at neng-kz3
% ^M
expect: does "puts $KADM5_ADMIN_SERVICE\nkadmin at neng-kz3\n% " (spawn_id
exp10) match regular expression "([a-zA-Z/@]+)\n% "? Gate "*\n% "?
gate=yes re=no^M
expect: timedout^M

Exactly as you said, we are using kadmin/$hostname as kadmin service
principal. I think that was the root cause. I will talk to other Solaris
devs to work out the problem.

Thanks for the help here!

Best,
Neng