VLAs (Re: C99 Features)

Roland Mainz rmainz at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 11:12:29 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

No... it is not. Sun long ago did a detailed analysis of the problem (related to libumem and the Solaris kernel memory allocator) and it was found while libumem (this applies to all normal allocator systems) is very fast&&efficient it does not distinguish between object types and object usage/lifetime.
The small/artificial testcases used to "prove" the "superiority" of a specific allocator typically do not measure effects of long-term heap thrashing/fragmentation caused by interleaving allocations and out-of-order-|free()| between threads or mixture between temporary allocations (with |malloc()|+|free()| in the same function) and long-term allocations.

One of the findings of this analysis was that if the temporary allocations come from a different memory pool (or stack via VLA/|alloca()|) then the long-term fragmentation of the global heap can be *GREATLY* reduced.

So using memory from stack to serve allocations of temporary memory still makes sense because it reduces the long-term fragmentation of the global heap a *lot*. This becomes even more important for threaded applications but still applies to single-threaded but long-running processes (like the krb5kdc), too.

----

Bye,
Roland

--