krb5.conf and 32 vs 64-bit plugins

Tomas Kuthan tomas.kuthan at oracle.com
Mon Aug 17 03:35:41 EDT 2015

On 08/17/15 06:33 AM, Greg Hudson wrote:
> On 08/14/2015 08:43 AM, Tomas Kuthan wrote:
>> We would like to solve that by supporting $ISA place holder in the path,
>> that would translate to '/64/' on 64-bit and to '/' on 32-bit. Hence the
>> following (artificial) example would work fine for both:
>>
>>      module = pkinit:/lib/$ISA/site/preauth/pkinit.so
>>
>> Would MIT be willing to accept a patch implementing something along
>> these lines?
>
> My concern is that different operating systems have done different
> things with 32-bit and 64-bit libraries, even within the space of Linux
> distributions.  Rather than a solution narrowly tailored to one
> operating system, I would like a plan which can cover a broad range of
> operating systems, preferrably one which doesn't add a lot of complexity
> to the code.

Hi Greg,

thank you for your reply.

Just to clarify, with this proposal we are trying to address plugins in
non-default library path (I should have made up a better example, such
as "/opt/vendor/product/version/lib/plugins/$ISA/"). Default library
path already works fine for both 32 and 64-bit.

How about supporting the following macros, that would  be settable at
configure with the following default values:

#define ISA_STRING "/$ISA/"
#define ISA_32 "/"
#define ISA_64 "/64/"

I believe this should offer enough flexibility.

Thanks in advance for comments.

Tomas