[patch] krb5 HEAD fails to build on RHEL5/Linux/IA64 with $ configure --enable-static --disable-shared # ...

Roland Mainz rmainz at redhat.com
Tue Sep 2 12:30:05 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----

Well... libverto needs libm ...

> Taking a step back, I think we are likely to get rid of static linking
> support rather than add more complexity to fix or improve it.
>
> Support for static linking was removed in 1.7 because our architecture
> was moving increasingly in the direction of loading plugin modules,
> including some in-tree modules like PKINIT, KDB modules, and now the TLS
> plugin module.  I added limited static linking support back in for 1.8
> in order to be able to do test coverage analysis with gcov, but gcov now
> works with shared libraries, so the motivation is gone.

... but that was exactly the motivation why I wanted to fix the static build - almost all of the (static) analyzer/instrumentation software (minus the original "lint") need a "whole view" of all the sources to be able to analyze the code properly with *ALL* interdependencies... and so far none of them (e.g. tested with Sun Studio's XIPO, Coverity or gcc/clang -flto) can deal with compiled shared libraries (*.a archives are fine because the precompiled source code is embedded in special ELF chunks or (in the case of "clang") the *.o files in the archives are compiler-specific bytecode; creating shared libraries (*.so) will cause the linker to strip this information).

----

Bye,
Roland

--