[patch] krb5 HEAD fails to build on RHEL5/Linux/IA64 with $ configure --enable-static --disable-shared # ...

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Tue Sep 2 12:17:10 EDT 2014

On 09/01/2014 02:57 PM, Roland Mainz wrote:
> -VERTO_LIBS="-lverto"
> +VERTO_LIBS="-lverto -lm"

This is too broad.  libm should not be a linker dependency of krb5kdc
and kadmind for non-static builds or when the system libverto is used.

Taking a step back, I think we are likely to get rid of static linking
support rather than add more complexity to fix or improve it.

Support for static linking was removed in 1.7 because our architecture
was moving increasingly in the direction of loading plugin modules,
including some in-tree modules like PKINIT, KDB modules, and now the TLS
plugin module.  I added limited static linking support back in for 1.8
in order to be able to do test coverage analysis with gcov, but gcov now
works with shared libraries, so the motivation is gone.  In the
meantime, we have added another pluggable interface with an in-tree
module, and have expanded our automated test coverage to include PKINIT
and the new TLS plugin module, neither of which will work in a static build.