questions regarding localization in MIT krb

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 17 17:09:37 EST 2014

On 01/13/2014 05:58 PM, Will Fiveash wrote:
> I'm looking at the localization aspect of the MIT krb build environment
> and wondering how this is supposed to work for things like kinit.  When
> I build kinit I do not see xgettext being run nor do I see any *.po
> files in the mit-krb-build/clients/kinit/ directory.  In the Solaris
> build env. commands like kinit have their source scanned by xgettext if
> the make target "_msg" is given.  *.po message files are created and
> later translated into different languages so the various strings output
> to the user by the command will be in the language chosen by the user.
> Can someone help me understand how this is working in the MIT build
> env.?

I think we got Will up to speed out of band, but for the record:

* In the build tree, "cd po && make update-po" will update the pot file
(located in src/po/mit-krb5.pot and checked into the repository) by
running xgettext over all of the C source files.  It requires a full
build to work, because it also runs gettext over all of the .c files
generated from com_err error tables.

* The .pot file is used as a template for .po files containing
translations.  The build system would convert these to .mo files and
install them.

* We don't ship any actual translations at this time; the infrastructure
is there for the benefit of downstream packagers.  We ship a stub
en-US.po file to make the build system work, but it contains no
translations.