krb5-1.12 - New iprop features - tree propagation & slave notify

Basch, Richard Richard.Basch at gs.com
Wed Jan 15 15:35:55 EST 2014

Actually, in thinking about it, given that I am doing a fork/exec of kprop to signal the slave using the kprop dump, but sending an error code, the logic should be in kprop to retry based on error conditions, then return.  That way, kadmind/kpropd remain wholly async in their notification.

The RPC only works between kpropd to a local kadmind (in proponly mode) and from kpropd to remote kadmind; nothing else actually implements RPC (which made the implementation "trickier"). As a refresher, kadmind on the master knows about its slaves via who contacts them and when an UPDATE_OK/UPDATE_NIL is provided. Upon the next update kadmind processes, it spawns off a kprop to notify each of the slaves via the kprop (full dump) protocol, but sending an error code just before sending the database (already supported by older versions of kpropd). Upon receipt of this error, kpropd will send a USR1 to the iprop portion of kpropd (the USR1 signal is already supported), to notify the iprop portion of kpropd to expire the timer and poll immediately. In tree-mode, a  kadmind exists on intermediate hosts (only supporting the iprop RPC), and kpropd also attempts to signal the local kadmind (iprop interface) of any changes it has processed locally by sending it a NULL RPC. This last piece therefore allows a full tree replication in near real-time, or at least so is the theory (the high load condition is the only thing which I am trying to optimize).

As soon as the fork to spawn kprop succeeds, the client is forgotten (if kprop fails for any reason other than the fork failing), it means the slave will not be notified and will receive no more notifications (but the periodic iprop poll will eventually kick in to resync the slave).