DNS server hangs in/after gss_indicate_mechs call on Windows with krb5-1.9 libs

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri May 10 12:20:16 EDT 2013

On 05/10/2013 04:46 AM, diptivs wrote:
> When I debugged the code I could get following is the call stack:

Thanks for the stack trace.  Using that information, I was able to
figure out what's wrong.

As you guessed, the kg_vdb mutex is not initialized.  During the
development of release 1.7, a bunch of GSSAPI code was moved around, and
the initialization of this mutex was accidentally placed into an #ifndef
_WIN32 block.  This bug is at src/lib/gssapi/krb5/gssapi_krb5.c line
911-918; only the kg_kdc_flag_mutex mutex initialization should be
conditional.

In release 1.10, the entire subsystem which used kg_vdb was removed, so
this bug was not noticed during the testing of Kerberos for Windows 4.

I would strongly recommend using KfW 4, or at the very least a build of
release 1.10, rather than a build of release 1.9.  We only just barely
made 1.9 build on Windows, whereas 1.10 is the basis of a KfW release
and has received much more testing.

(As a side note, please refrain from sending the same message to both
krbdev at mit.edu and kerberos at mit.edu.)