Question on a very old (2006) Kerberos bug...

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 27 21:18:41 EDT 2013

Hello Dana,

I do not believe that the bug report you reference is relevant to your
current situation.  Kerberos for Windows has extra windows-specific
functionality on top of the standard krb5 libraries and utilities, and the
fix for that ticket was contained within the windows-specific code.

Your posting does not indicate whether the user double-authentication
happens at logon time (e.g. with the help of pam_krb5 or the system
dotfiles), or is part of a process that is manually invoked by the user;
we would need a full picture of what the setup is in order to usefully
comment about it.

That said, the space character is a valid character for kerberos
passwords, and I fear that stripping even leading and trailing spaces
might be seen as a regression and therefore an unacceptable change.

I think it would be most appropriate for you to send a new message to the
kerberos at mit.edu list, treating your situation as a new bug report,
providing again the Ubuntu and krb5 versions, and describing the situation
you experience and what part(s) of it are problematic.  That list has more
people on it who administer production deployments, and may have similar
experiences.

-Ben Kaduk