Installing pkg-config files for krb5

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 2 13:34:53 EDT 2012

On 09/27/2012 05:14 AM, Stef Walter wrote:
> Using krb5 would be that much easier if it installed pkg-config files.

I'm on board with this idea in principal, but I have some specific concerns.

First, you appear to be extracting some stuff from $CC_LINK, including
-Wl,-R flags, to put into the Libs line.  I don't believe this is a
common or recommended practice for pkg-config files.

Second, I think krb5.pc needs a Libs.private line containing
-lkrb5support, for use with the --static option.

Third, I think most of the Requires lines should be Requires.private
lines.  A GSSAPI application, for instance, should only link against
-lgssapi_krb5 (when not doing static linking) since there's no
expectation that it's also going to use libkrb5 or libk5crypto functions.

(I'm aware that krb5-config does not obey these constraints at all.
"krb5-config --libs gssapi" outputs rpath flags as well as -lgssapi_krb5
-lkrb5 -lk5crypto -lcom_err.  But I don't think we need to be beholden
to the behavior of our nonstandard config script.)