RFC: libverto nearing release

Ezra Peisach epeisach at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 8 22:38:55 EDT 2011

One concern that I have with this library is that you do not
define/document a required set of options. Yes - you test some at
runtime - but is that really universal.

For instance, the signal handling that you have implemented - it
requires glib 2.29 - which is not available in earlier versions.  I can
deal with requiring a minimal library version. The problem I have is
that depending on your "backend" - some signals are allowed or not. glib
only allows SIGINT, SIGTERM, SIGHUP.  When you try to use a different
signal - libverto will not return a handle - as the low level glib traps
it. Your test suite uses SIGUSR1/2 - but the test suite returns
not-supported - so your code never really tests the glib library support

No - here is the rub - how can you write implementation code - as an
end-user - when the implementations are restricting you.  I cannot write
"portable" code using the library - as I need to know the backend
implementation before hand.... [glib timeout code being up to 10ms less
than your requested time is another gotcha]

I do not know what other demons lurk beneath the surface...  Clearly
these would need to be documented. Any code/plugins that use libverto
would need to use the lowest common denominator of all features...

Ezra