: Why are we using libverto again

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 7 12:06:50 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 11:35 -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> I am taking careful attention to make sure that this will
> compile in MSVC++ as well (though as I don't have MSVC++ right now I
> can't guarantee it of course).

FYI, I found that you can set up a native windows build environment with
just a basic Windows license without too much pain.  You have a couple
of options, one of which is to install Visual C++ Express and the other
of which is to ignore the GUI development environment and install the
Windows SDK, which contains nmake and the compilers.  The latter option
has the advantage of giving you 64-bit compiler support, which isn't (or
wasn't) part of Visual C++ Express.  (If you need the GUI development
tools and 64-bit support, you can install the SDK and convince Visual C
++ Express to use it, although I haven't done that myself.)

My notes for installing the SDK are:

* Install .NET framework 4
* Install Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET framework 4
* From start menu, invoke Windows SDK 7.1 command prompt
* For 64-bit, SetEnv /x86
* nmake is now runnable