What is the intended calling convention on Windows between GSS mechglue and SPI?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Wed Jul 6 17:51:59 EDT 2011

On 6/13/2011 11:33 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:

> Jeff and others providing GSS implementations on Windows, I have a
> question.
>
> There's some complexity surrounding GSS-API calling conventions on
> Windows.
>
> It's my understanding that for gssapi_32.dll, MIt has traditionally used
> the win32 (or whatever the non-C calling convention is called) for the
> exported symbols.

I was not involved in the original decision to select __stdcall for
GSSAPI on Windows.  However, considering that if Microsoft was ever to
publish a GSSAPI DLL of their own it would be __stdcall I believe the
decision was the correct one.

In the work to bring Heimdal to Windows a decision was made to provide
compatibility with MIT and as such it uses __stdcall.  It is my believe
that any application that is built against one gssapi dll should work
with any of the others.

I would prefer that any mechanism interfaces on Windows also make use of
__stdcall for the reasons you mention.

Jeffrey Altman