Delegation and Moonshot

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Apr 4 00:48:14 EDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Luke Howard <lukeh at padl.com> wrote:
>> winnowed according to policy at the AAA server.  Is that possible?
>
> Sure, or ditto at the KDC. Obviously, there's a convenience vs privacy tradeoff: the AAA server needs to include in the assertion any attributes that may be required by delegatees, and these will be visible to the delegating service. If this is unacceptable, a model where the KDC contacts the IdP is better.

I thought about the KDC doing the winnowing, but surely the issuer of
the assertion is best placed to do the winnowing, and if another party
does it then the issuer has to trust it.  Now, for attributes asserted
by the KDC, sure, by my logic the KDC would have to do the winnowing.

>> values that are of interest to the app (SIDs, ...) and even map them
>> to other things that are locally meaningful (UIDs, GIDs, ...).
>
> I think this could be better done with something like Shibboleth and mapping to the local (non-URN) namespace. We have this working with Moonshot and OpenSSH/OpenLDAP authorization and it works well.

I guess it's time for me to take a deep dive into Shibboleth... But
not anytime soon :(

Can Shibboleth be made to pick apart the PAC?

> That said, map to any is implemented by MIT. Not by Heimdal though.

Think it can be made to handle the PAC cleanly?

Nico