Plugin project proposal

Zhanna Tsitkova tsitkova at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 15 21:06:22 EDT 2010

Nico,
I am talking about the plugin interdependencies problem. Please, see exchange below.
Your response implies  that you have a simple solution for this problem. Could you please share it with us.
Thanks!

> 4.  Notion of the plugin properties configuration attribute.  It
> was introduced in the project to allow the administrator to pass some
> additional information to the plugin manager. For example, to be
> initialized, Plugin_A requires Plugin_B to be initialized first.
> Plugin manager now would arrange the proper init order or pass the
> desired parameters to the plugin module.

Nico:  How is init order established?

Zhanna:
 "Well, it is more about lower level design and may not be necessary in the first plugin framework implementation , but one approach comes to mind:
Based on configuration one can build dependency matrix.
Its rows and columns represent all desired plugin  implementations, say, A B C D. Now, if A depends on B the location (A,B) gets the value 1, otherwise 0. And so on. The next step is to create a priority vector based on this matrix and pass it to the initializer.
Just an idea."

Nico:
What component would build this matrix?  Surely not the application. That's a non-starter.

Zhanna:
Do you have any specific proposal how to solve this problem?

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 07:46:25PM -0400, Zhanna Tsitkova wrote:
> On Thursday, July 15, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 05:33:18PM -0400, Zhanna Tsitkova wrote:
> > > Well, it is more about lower level design and may not be necessary in
> > > the first plugin framework implementation , but one approach comes to
> > > mind:
> > >
> > > Based on configuration one can build dependency matrix.
> >
> > What component would build this matrix?  Surely not the application.
> > That's a non-starter.
>
> Do you have any specific proposal how to solve this problem.

What's the problem?