krb5-1.8-alpha1 is available

Tom Yu tlyu at mit.edu
Fri Jan 15 16:36:17 EST 2010

"Douglas E. Engert" <deengert at anl.gov> writes:

> Tom Yu wrote:
>  > MIT krb5-1.8-alpha1 is now available for download from
> [...]
>> Please send comments to the krbdev list.
>
> krb5-1.8-alpha1 built on Solaris 10 using Sun's gcc /usr/sfw/bin
> has these issues:
>
>   MIN is used in src/lib/gssapi/krb5/prf.c but MIN is not defined
>   in any include files. By adding the attached patch, it complies.

Thanks for the patch.  On further examination, quite a few places use
macros such as MIN() or MAX() and independently define them.  We
should consolidate them.

>   The Sun xscreensaver appears to have a bug that overwrites memory.
>   I have seen this with krb5-1.7 and got around it. It looks like it
>   is overwriting something different in krb5-1.8 with worse results then
>   in krb5-1.7. More tests are needed.

What were the characteristics of the xscreensaver failure with 1.7?

> With using pam_krb5-4.0, pam-afs-session-1.7, opensc-0.11.12,
> OpenSSL-0.9.8i and pcsc-lite-1.5.5, I can use PKINIT with smart card
> to W2008 DCs.

This is excellent news.  How complicated is the configuration to set
up?