Profile include support, round 2

Danilo Almeida dalmeida at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 26 15:33:48 EDT 2010

Greg wrote:

> It would not be difficult, but I'd prefer not to.
>
> By making included files syntactically independent of their parents,
> we've removed pretty much all of the "attractive but pathological" use
> cases.  Adding additional restrictions means creating more error codes
> and more error-handling code without, in my opinion, protecting the
> admin from any likely mistakes.

Ah, I see your point... there would now be the potential for a new "hey, you tried to include a profile file from the middle of a relation" (or somesuch) error condition.

I was more concerned about the idea of having parser support the odd-looking construct from the perspective of design rationale and documentation.  The syntax begs the question, "why was it done that way"?  I understand the explanation, but does that mean the explanation should go in the docs?  (I am thinking both in terms of admins and implementers.)

Thanks,
- Danilo