Code modularity

Zhanna Tsitkova tsitkova at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 28 11:33:08 EDT 2009

Hello,
This is the initial write-up for the Code Modularity proj. It's goal
is to reorganize the code to simplify the construction of the code
subsets (clients, servers, u2u etc for mobile devices, embedded
systems etc) and, potentially, improve the quality of the code.

After analyzing various approaches in the constructing of the subsets,
we agreed that the best one is to have related functions in the
separate files so that building these files would produce the minimal
lib with the required functionality. It is somewhat one-function-per-
file approach without going into extremes of literal "one function in
one file", rather "file is a holder of the equivalent functions".
Equivalence relation is defined in terms of reflexivity, symmetry and
transitivity.

We define two functions to be equivalent if they have the same parent.

Let X1, X2, X3, ... Xn denote kerb API's and lets call them "parents".

Example 1.
Suppose that x-reference analyzer shows the following function call
stack:
X1 -> C1 -> B -> (A1, A2)   ( i.e X1 calls C1 which calls B, which
calls two functions A1 and A2)
X2 -> C2 -> B -> (A1, A2)
Then the parents are:
X1 -----> X1
C1 -----> X1
X2-----> X2
C2 -----> X2
B  ----->   X1, X2   ( i.e. X1 and X2 are parents of B)
A1-----> X1, X2
A2-----> X1, X2
This brings us to the conclusion that the following functions are
equivalent and may live in three separate files: (X1,C1), (X2, C2),
(B, A1, A2).

Example 2.
Let x-ref for X1 and X2 be the same as in example 1 and add a new API
X3 which calls only A2. Now the parenthood is:
X1 -----> X1
C1 -----> X1
X2-----> X2
C2 -----> X2
X3-----> X3
B  ----->   X1, X2
A1-----> X1, X2
A2-----> X1, X2, X3
resulting into five separate function holders (X1,C1), (X2, C2), (X3),
(B, A1), (A2)

We might consider the case when X2 and X3 are serving similar purpose.
For example, they are client-only code. Then, we can define group, say
G23:
X1 -----> X1
C1 -----> X1
X2-----> X2
C2 -----> X2
X3-----> X3
B  ----->   X1, G23
A1-----> X1, G23
A2-----> X1, G23
so one needs four files to hold equivalent functions  (X1,C1), (X2,
C2), (X3), (B, A1, A2)

Thanks,
Zhanna