export list symbols

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 20 15:02:59 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 13:12 -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> What about symbols which were previously removed from the public headers
> (or were never prototyped), but remain exported to maintain backward
> compatibility with existing users?

Of the symbols in Zhana's list, the following three were prototyped in
past versions of krb5.h: krb5_random_confounder, krb5_encrypt_data, and
krb5_decrypt_data.

In r14320 (April 2002), Tom moved those symbols into an #if KRB5_PRIVATE
block, and in r15798 (August 2003) Ken moved them to k5-int.h.

Given that it hasn't been very many releases since 2002, I'd say we
should keep those three symbols to maintain ABI compatibility.  Assuming
consensus on this point, I will move those symbols' prototypes from
k5-int.h to old_api_glue.c and add appropriate comments.

As for your "(or were never prototyped)" parenthetical: I'm all for not
breaking things, but I don't want to be paralyzed by the mere
speculation that someone might be using a non-prototyped symbol from one
of our libraries.  If we have specific evidence about specific symbols,
we can make documented exceptions for those in the manner of the
previous paragraph.