prefer Python for new scripts?

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 3 11:53:11 EST 2009

    Tom> I propose that we move toward preferring Python for new
    Tom> scripts in the source tree.  Scripts in our tree are written
    Tom> in many languages, including Python, Perl, Tcl/Expect, Bourne
    Tom> shell, and others.

I definitely think that we should encourage people to write maintainable code.

However I also think that we should encourage people to write tests
etc.  I'd much rather see people actually write test scripts in
whatever language they are familiar with than not write scripts.

I think that if people focus on writing modular code, that my personal
recommendation is that we probably don't need a global recommendation
like this.

I definitely think that using Python is fine.  I also think that
moving away from the existing dejagnu tests would improve
maintainability.

--Sam