krb5-appl status update

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Sun Jul 19 11:35:52 EDT 2009

ghudson at mit.edu wrote:

> The tree is currently still using several un-prototyped libkrb5
> interfaces (krb5_read_message, krb5_write_message, krb5_net_read, and
> krb5_set_config_files).  We need to prototype these functions and
> commit to their maintenance, stop using them in krb5-appl, or cheat
> and prototype them in krb5-appl.  I plan to study the situation a bit
> more and decide which is best.  The tree builds okay in spite of this
> blemish, just with more warnings than usual.
>
> On a related note, krb5-appl is currently relying on some functions in
> libkrb5support for portability (e.g. krb5int_strlcpy).  This seems
> unlikely to cause a problem since those interfaces are unlikely to
> change.

the krb5_read_message, krb5_write_message, krb5_net_read, ... are helper
functions in the krb5 library that should only be (in my opinion) used
within the krb5 library.  Applications that wish to have access to
similar functionality should define their own similar functions.
These functions and missing portability functions such as strlcpy should
be defined in an apputil library that is statically linked to the
various apps in the krb5-appl tree.

Just my two cents.

Jeffrey Altman