[kerberos-discuss] MIT krb db2 hash test failures on Solaris

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Thu Jan 22 22:44:28 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:06:02PM -0500, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> --On Thursday, January 22, 2009 08:42:26 PM -0600 Will Fiveash
> <William.Fiveash at Sun.COM> wrote:
> > So either is the above code is making some bad assumptions or stat() is
> > buggy.  Thoughts?
>
> Ugh ugh ugh.
> If I understand the code you've quoted correctly (without going back to
> read the rest of it), the bucket size, and therefore the file format,
> varies depending on the result from st_blksize.  This is hideous; UNIX
> files are flat byte streams and their format and interpretation should not
> be dependent on the properties of the filesystem on which they happen to be
> located.

Actually, sizing database pages so they match the natural block size of
a filesystem is very important for performance.

The thing is though that if you make the page size depend on the fs
block size then you must record the page size in the database's headers
when the DB is created.  If that's not done then you cannot safely move
the database from one filesystem to another!

Nico