Unit tests of internal functions

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 29 16:15:58 EST 2009

Greg Hudson <ghudson at MIT.EDU> writes:

> * I don't think we have any strong philosophical objections to using
> libtool, but I believe init/fini support may be a blocker.  I may
> investigate this further.  Using libtool would slow down the build a bit
> and that would be sort of sad, but libtool is a de facto standard for
> open source Unix library builds at this point.

> * (This is pretty far off topic, but since it came up:) I don't think we
> would get much out of using automake.  I am more interested in systems
> such as CMake or SCons which would help us unify our Unix and Windows
> build systems, but I'm not sure if either of them would turn out to be a
> great idea.  I also don't see us putting the resources into a build
> system migration at this time; we would benefit more from migrating our
> test suite or version control system.

Using Libtool without Automake is doable but annoying.  I can provide
recipes if you end up wanting to do that, since I maintained such a
configuration in INN for years.  You definitely save on boilerplate code
and fiddly bits by using them both together.

I tend to concur that migrating VCSes and changing test suite architecture
are more immediately interesting than switching to Automake.