File and line numbers in error messages

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Wed Apr 29 18:25:13 EDT 2009

--On Wednesday, April 29, 2009 06:16:54 PM -0400 Sam Hartman
<hartmans at mit.edu> wrote:

> I'd object very strongly to a version of this complied in by default
> or intended to ship in end-user/OS builds.

I think I'd object to having it turned on by default.  I certainly would
not argue in favor of it being compiled in but not turned on.

In my last message, I meant to point out that once you have lots of
messages which are the same, in the name of making things clear, being able
to build a version with line numbers is useful for finding the right code
path.

I do not think line numbers are terribly useful in end-user/OS builds,
since by the time you get a problem report you will often either not know
what source was used or not have a copy.

-- Jeff