questions about entry->mkvno logic in kadm5_get_principal()

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 20 09:58:44 EDT 2008

Will Fiveash <William.Fiveash at Sun.COM> writes:

> In src/lib/kadm5/srv/svr_principal.c:kadm5_get_principal()
> there is this logic:
>
>     if (handle->api_version == KADM5_API_VERSION_2)
>          entry->mkvno = 0;
>     else {
>          /* XXX I'll be damned if I know how to deal with this one --marc */
>          entry->mkvno = 1;
>     }
>
> Any idea as to why mkvno differs depending on the KADM5_API_VERSION?
> I'm also wondering if that logic is correct if KADM5_API_VERSION is
> incremented (so mkvno should be 1?).

I have no idea why it's different.  API version 1 is for compatibility
with the OpenVison admin system.  I suspect that nobody cares about
that anymore.

> I'm asking this because I'm modifying the code at this point to look up
> the mkvno in the entry's new KRB5_TL_MKVNO tl_data but if that doesn't
> exist then mkvno will be assigned a fall back default value and I want
> to make sure it's the correct value.

If you feel like duplicating the logic, I suspect that's fine.