"Secure coding" audit checkers and Kerberos

Philip Guenther guenther at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 18:11:34 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Ken Raeburn <raeburn at mit.edu> wrote:
> They do mention libc4 on Linux, which I doubt anyone uses any more,
> and even if they do, I'm pretty sure we already use stuff that it
> doesn't support; they mention "some old HP systems" with even less
> detail.

Specific data point from personal experience: in 2003, HP-UX 11.11's
snprintf() had (at least) two defects:

1) it would return -1 if given a non-zero size smaller than the
required length.  I.e.,
         char c;
         snprintf(&c, 1, "foo");
   would return -1 instead of 3

2) if the size argument was zero, it would act like sprintf() and put
no limit on how many characters it would write to the buffer.

Philip Guenther