krb5-1.6.4-beta1 is available

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 28 15:43:04 EDT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 14:23, Damian Hazen wrote:
> There is a linking issue when building kerberos on AIX 5.  This
> problem
> has been around for a few kerberos releases now and it would be really
> helpful if it could be addressed.  For AIX 5, kerberos is now building
> run-time linking shared objects (see config/shlib.conf) instead of
> archives.   This breaks executables which want to link against them
> unless the executable explicitly requests run-time linking.

Unfortunately, we don't have any functional AIX systems to test with
here.  (We used to have an AIX 4 system, donated by IBM, but its disk
died and we've done nothing about it, much like our scrounged Tru64
5.1 system.  No AIX 5 to play with.  So far as I've heard, these
platforms aren't the highest priorities to support among our
sponsors.)  This is, I think, the first "normal UNIX" build system
(i.e., not Mac OS X, which is already treated specially in a bunch of
ways) where dynamically loaded objects (e.g., preauth or kdb plugins)
and shared libraries (e.g., libkrb5) can be built differently, so it
may take a few rounds of debugging.

I'm unclear on whether the previous change was broken since,
incomplete, or just wrong; I'm quite willing to believe we broke
something since getting the patch or in applying it.  https://
krbdev.mit.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=3176 has the prior
discussion that led to these changes in the first place.  There are
some patches there we haven't incorporated.  Perhaps some of them fix
this problem?

--
Ken Raeburn, Senior Programmer
MIT Kerberos Consortium