code quality improvement proposal
tlyu at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 11 11:48:57 EDT 2008
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Historically, various people have committed changes to the MIT
Kerberos source tree implementing bug fixes that were "quick patches"
which decreased the overall maintainability of the code. This
practice is one of many that has made the code less maintainable over
time. I would like to reverse this trend.
In an effort to improve the overall quality of the MIT Kerberos source
code, I propose the following policy:
* Every commit to the trunk must improve the overall quality of the
* The initial criteria consist of the subjective judgment of krbcore.
* Any krbcore member may revert changes for quality reasons.
- I expect that krbcore members will not do so capriciously.
- The committer and the reverter should come to an agreement about
how the desired change should occur. Additional people should be
consulted if they cannot reach an agreement.
* We will formalize the criteria over time.
* Changes to release branches continue to be under Release Engineer
I think that improving code quality is a sufficiently important goal
that we should proceed with the proposal.
Unless there are strong objections, this policy becomes effective
MIT Kerberos Consortium
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (SunOS)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the krbdev