kerberos password test function source code

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 6 13:00:30 EDT 2008

I think you're going too low level.  You should be supplying the
"trial" password and the Kerberos principal as arguments.  (The
principal could be a simple username if you know it's always just a
simple user in the default realm.)

The relevant function to use is krb5_get_init_creds_password().  It's
sufficient to tell you that somebody on the 'net says the password is
OK.

Presumably you also want to know that "somebody" is actually your
Kerberos server.  In that case you also need to request a service
ticket for a service you already have a keytab for, and verify the
ticket against that keytab.  Looks like krb5_verify_init_creds() is a
routine common to MIT and Heimdal for that purpose.

Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu