need project review

Will Fiveash William.Fiveash at sun.com
Mon Apr 7 14:48:55 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:18:57PM -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:00:41PM -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> > IMO we should deprecate stash files altogether.  That should make this
> > issue go away -- what's the point of having a stash file if nothing will
> > read it?
>
> I should clarify.  I think that the only thing that reads stash files
> should be the tool that migrates them to keytab file entries.  That
> could be built-in to krb5kdc and kadmind, or it could be a standalone
> tool.  Either way the stash file should be read once, migrated, and
> removed or ignored thereafter.

The design does not auto-migrate the stash file to a keytab format.  The
idea is that the KDC daemons will be able to read an older format stash
file.  Only when the admin runs a kdb5_util command that modifies the
masterkey stash will the format change (along with a new masterkey being
stored).  I'm assuming that the old masterkey does not need to be saved
since this does not happen with the current stash code.

--
Will Fiveash
Sun Microsystems               Office x64079/512-401-1079