Unicode and APIs

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Wed Sep 19 18:10:27 EDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 06:04:14PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Jeffrey> What do you do with tickets whose principal names can be
>     Jeffrey> represented in UNICODE but not in the locale charset?
>     Jeffrey> The application if it has set the UTF8 flag will be able
>     Jeffrey> to process the ticket but won't be able to cache it.
>
> I'll defer this until we discuss ticket caches.

I won't defer this comment though :)

I think requiring the use of Unicode locales in order to get certain new
functionality is acceptable.

Global per-user locale settings (as opposed to per-process env vars)
will effectively be needed, but when you can't represent some Unicode
string in a non-Unicode locale, well, you (the user) lose -- start using
Unicode locales to win.