non-ascii password in kerberos authentication

Paul Moore paul.moore at centrify.com
Fri Sep 14 17:14:10 EDT 2007

Sorry - I mean DES or RC4?

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Moore
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 2:14 PM
To: 'Xu Qiang'; krbdev at mit.edu
Subject: RE: non-ascii password in kerberos authentication

DES or HMAC?

DES does not define the password behaviour for non-ascii, MSFT has implemented in such a way that it is basically impossible to interop with (they translate the the unicode to an OEM 8 bit char set, but which one they use depends on the the language pack in use on the DC - which you cannot discover remotely)

HMAC does define the non-ascii behaviour so it should be OK (in my experience)