Proposal for NIM 2.0 Multiple Identity Provider User Experience and PK-INIT

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Tue Jul 17 16:33:29 EDT 2007

comments in-line:

Alexandra Ellwood wrote:

> A few comments:
>

> * In your design the information used to acquire credentials is the
> "primary identity" and the Kerberos principal of the acquired
> credentials is the "derived identity":
>
>     * In an environment where multiple pieces of information are
> required to acquire Kerberos credentials (ie: two-factor
> authentication), which of the two pieces of information is the primary
> identity?
The "primary identity" is the initial credential and secret.  In
traditional Kerberos v5 this is the ticket granting ticket and the
password.    Secondary credentials are those obtained via a subsequent
authentication using a service ticket.  For example, a Kerberos v4 TGT,
an AFS token, a X.509 certificate issued by a KCA.

In the SmartCard world, the initial credential is the private key and
the certificate and the secret is the PIN or biometric used to access
the private key.

>     * What happens when a site migrates principals from one type of
> authentication to another?  For example if a sysadmin changes a bunch
> of principals from PKINIT to smart cards, is any of the cached
> information in NIM still useful or does the user need to start over
> because their primary identity has changed?  How does NIM behave when
> the user tries to use their certificate identity instead of the new
> smart card one?
The configuration of the Kerberos v5 identity remains the same and is
re-used.  If a traditional Kerberos v5 authentication attempt fails with
a pre-auth required error and the permitted list is PKINIT, then the
user will be given the error and prompted to select a certificate (if
one can not be found by searching the store for a certificate with an
appropriate SAN.)   When the user selects a certificate, the appropriate
Certificate identity will be created and associated with the krb5
principal for credential acquisition.

Going in the reverse direction.  If the user has attempted to obtain
credentials using the certificate and pkinit is no longer supported,
then the user will be notified and the krb5 library prompter will
request a password (or other data) through the NIM user interface.

>     * Have you thought about how this design interacts with
> application identity selection?  I notice in all your examples you
> still have a "default identity".  With the new Kerberos Identity
> Management (KIM) API there will be no default identity.  Instead
> applications will provide information about the service they want to
> contact and a client principal will be selected for them based on
> cached information.  Using your terminology this means that given a
> "derived identity" (the Kerberos identity) KIM must be able to
> determine the "primary identity" that generates it to start the
> authentication process.  Do you store this information?
This information is stored in the user's profile.    Today, without KIM,
GSS-API queries NIM for a specific krb5 principal.  NIM searches for
credentials for that principal.  If found, it returns the cache that
contains them.  Otherwise, it searches for a configuration for the
requested principal and prompts the user.  If a configuration does not
exist, it creates a configuration based upon default values and prompts
the user.   If the user successfully obtains credentials, the cache is
returned to the caller.

In the multiple identity provider case, each identity provider will be
queried for configurations that can be used to obtain the requested
credentials.  if there is more than one, the user will be prompted with
the identity selection dialog displaying only those that can be used
(plus the "new identity ..." option.)

KIM can take advantage of the configuration data to help it figure out
which certificate to use and so on.  Obviously, once KIM is available
the krb5 credential provider will have to be modified to interact with it.
> * In several places you refer to a user-configurable icon which
> identifies the identity's site.  If the user is relying on the icon to
> figure out what identity to choose, what prevents malicious software
> from swapping the icons around to trick the user into using the wrong
> identity?
There is nothing that protects the user configuration data other than
the user's permissions.   Malicious software could modify any of the
user's configuration data because it is stored in the user's profile.
> * I'm not sure I agree with your statements that users will have an
> easier time remembering their smart card or certificate than the
> Kerberos identity.  I do agree wholeheartedly that for the most part
> users have no idea that the string in question has anything to do with
> Kerberos and our user interfaces shouldn't force them to know it is a
> Kerberos string.  But Kerberos identities look like email addresses,
> which are something users are already very familiar with.  They are
> also short and easy to remember (unlike, say, the information about a
> cert).  Also as I pointed out above if sysadmins are migrating from
> one type of hardware pre-authentication to another the Kerberos
> identity string is the only thing that is consistent across the
> migration.
The help desks at several organizations that I am working with do not
believe that the Kerberos v5 principal looking like an e-mail address is
a benefit because the realm and the e-mail domain appear similar but the
e-mail addresses are not necessarily related to the non-realm components
of the authentication identity.  This has become the case because while
e-mail addresses are recycled after a period of time, authentication
identities never are because they are placed on ACLs.

Jeffrey Altman
Secure Endpoints Inc.