need help on CVS diff

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 17 05:39:46 EST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 01:43, Vipin Rathor wrote:
> BTW, I am still having tough nights in accessing the old CVS-style
> tickets.
> I've installed a CVS client binary & whenver I ran CVS diff
> command, this is the response I'm getting:
> c:\>cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at anoncvs.mit.edu:/cvs/krbdev diff -r1.56
> -r1.57 src/lib/gssapi/krb5/gssapiP_krb5.h
> cvs [diff aborted]: authorization failed: server anoncvs.mit.edu
> rejected access to /cvs/krbdev for user anoncvs
> Am I doing something wrong?

Try "cvs -d ... login" and give the password "anoncvs", then retry
the diff.  That seemed to work for me just now.  (On the machine in
my office where I tested what I sent before, I'm sure I'd done the
login long ago.)

The path in the repository starts with "krb5", so you want "krb5/src/
lib/...", and at least with the CVS client I'm trying, it doesn't
seem to like diffs in a subdirectory without a checked-out tree.  But
I checked out krb5/src/lib/gssapi/krb5 and in that directory I was
able to run diffs on gssapiP_krb5.h without a directory prefix.  My
CVS is rusty enough that I don't recall whether this is expected
behavior or I'm just forgetting something....

Ken