referrals in 1.6

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 27 10:01:09 EST 2007

The question of what to do about extra TGS reqs is going to be the big
one in whether MIT will accept various zeroconf proposals etc.  I'm
really concerned about the performance of KDC requests and DNS traffic
especially on cell phone links.

In the 1.7 planning call no one else expressed this concern,but in
practice I'e found Kerberos is hard to use over a cell phone.

I think referrals are the best long-term choice we have for realm
config at this point.  It may be that before we can introduce anything
else that significantly increases the number of KDC round trips we
need to do a lot more caching.

--Sam