hardware recommendation to run MIT KDC

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Tue Aug 28 17:04:46 EDT 2007

> Shivakeshav Santi <ss488 at cornell.edu> writes:

   [has MIT KDC, ~350Krecs, ~1Mreq/day, on AIX 450Mhz, leaving AIX]

IASTATE.EDU does not have as large a DB (we delete students
shortly after graduation), ~60Krecs, but we do about 750Kreq/day.

We are running on a pair of (mostly one) Dell PowerEdge something
or others which report:

NetBSD 3.0 (GENERIC) #0: Mon Dec 19 01:04:02 UTC 2005
total memory = 2047 MB
cpu0: "Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.40GHz"
wm0 at pci2 dev 5 function 0: Intel i82546EB 1000BASE-T Ethernet
wm1 at pci2 dev 5 function 1: Intel i82546EB 1000BASE-T Ethernet
wm2 at pci3 dev 7 function 0: Intel i82541GI 1000BASE-T Ethernet
aac0 at pci3 dev 9 function 0: Dell CERC SATA RAID 1.5/6ch
ld0 at aac0 unit 0: RAID 1 (Mirror)
ld0: 76260 MB
ld1 at aac0 unit 1: RAID 1 (Mirror)
ld1: 76260 MB
ld2 at aac0 unit 2: RAID 0 (Stripe)
ld2: 148 GB

They are far more than adequate.
Regarding some of the choice Marcus outlined, the choices we made are:

* Dual Power Supplies: YES
  (we have two UPSes in our main machine room).

* Raid: YES [hardware]
  We divided the logical disks shown above as O/S, Kerberos, Logs.

* Console: YES
  We use conserver and cyclades terminals servers (on an isolated
  network) in our machine room.

* Backups: YES, MOSTLY
  We have TiBS and a robot in our machine room.
  We are at present excluding the actual DB from the backups,
  but we will soon be including a 'gpg' encrypted copy of it in the backups
  (with the corresponding private key kept in our vault).

Your mileage will undoubtably vary.

John