Updated draft for kadmind plugin API

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 23 17:50:04 EDT 2007

Henry B Hotz <hotz at jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> I dislike complicating an API with "trivial" overhead functions, like
> special-purpose versions of free().  It's a forrest-for-trees, kind of
> thing.  If we can't leave it as-is, can't we just declare that you use
> the standard system malloc()/free() routines?

You can't use the standard system malloc/free routines in general because
different shared objects may use different malloc arenas.  This isn't
usually an issue on Unix, but it is an issue on other platforms, and we
should try to keep the API portable; while it doesn't work today, there's
no reason why one couldn't eventually run a KDC on Windows and use DLLs
for loadable modules.  This is one of the reasons why the Kerberos library
provides free routines for all the data structures that it allocates.