How to Debug EINVAL from get_init_creds_password

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 19 20:43:23 EDT 2006

I've got a program that nicely creates keytab files when built with
1.4.x and 1.5 on OSX and Solaris.

With 1.3.? on OSX 10.3.9, however the krb5_get_init_creds_password()
call returns 22 (== EINVAL).  Certainly not a Kerberos error code.  I
will probably need this to work with 1.2.x on some Linux
distributions as well.  The most relevant code fragment follows.

> /* Error handling wrapper for Kerberos library routines. */
> #define K5(f, m) if((ret=(f))){\
>                         com_err("jplis_keytab", ret, (m));\
>                         restore_die();\
>                 }
. . . .
>         /* check password and get ticket */
>         memset (&kinit_opts, 0, sizeof(kinit_opts));
>         krb5_get_init_creds_opt_init(&kinit_opts);
>         krb5_get_init_creds_opt_set_etype_list(&kinit_opts, &etype,
> 1);
>
>         K5(krb5_get_init_creds_password(context, &creds, principal,
>                 password, NULL, NULL, 0, username, &kinit_opts),
>                 "-- probably a bad password");

context is the usual thing
creds isn't initialized
principal was unparsed into username and printed fine
It doesn't matter if password is correct or not.  gdb shows a correct
string in any case.

A typical run looks like this (on OSX 10.3.9):
> $ ./jplis_keytab -keytab temp -user hotz -realm JPL.NASA.GOV
> Making keytab file for hotz at JPL.NASA.GOV
> Enter keytab password:
> jplis_keytab: Invalid argument -- probably a bad password
> $

<<No, it's not a mistake that I'm asking for the user's own ticket
instead of a tgt.  That's a cheap way to get the kvno of the user's
principal.>>
----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu