Auditing Feature in Kerberos

greg@enjellic.com greg at enjellic.com
Thu Mar 23 09:24:28 EST 2006

On Mar 22,  6:33am, "K.G. Gokulavasan" wrote:
} Subject: Re: Auditing Feature in Kerberos

> Hi,

Good morning to everyone.

>   I think auth_time + principal_name can be used to link the TGT and
> service ticket issued by TGS. The same information can be used for
> auditing. Is this fine or is there a better way to link the TGT and
> service ticket issued by TGS?

Place a hook in the AS_REQ/TGS_REQ routines.  Define an ad_type to
hold a serial number which gets incremented for each AS_REQ and
returned in the TGT.  Look for the serial number in the TGT when
processing the TGS_REQ.

Bonus points for using a long long for the serial number and saving it
over restarts of the KDC.

To properly handle cross-realm the KDC's will need to cooperate.
Probably not a stretch of imagination if the KDC's are within the
context of a larger organization.  Extend the ad_data payload to
include the IP address of the KDC issueing the cross-realm ticket with
the serial number.

> Regards,
>  Gokul.

Have a good day.

Greg

}-- End of excerpt from "K.G. Gokulavasan"

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D.   Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
4206 N. 19th Ave.           Specializing in information infra-structure
Fargo, ND  58102            development.
PH: 701-281-1686
FAX: 701-281-3949           EMAIL: greg at enjellic.com
"Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well
under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do
well under the new."
                                 -- Niccolo Machiavelli
                                    _The Prince_, Chapter VI