version numbering for kfw

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 9 00:05:18 EST 2006

For future releases I need to add an additional parameter to the
patchlevel.h file:

--- patchlevel.h Wed Mar  8 23:34:00 2006
***************
*** 53,58 ****
--- 53,59 ----
  #define KRB5_MAJOR_RELEASE 1
  #define KRB5_MINOR_RELEASE 4
  #define KRB5_PATCHLEVEL 3
+ #define KRB5_BUILDLEVEL 1
  #define KRB5_RELTAIL "postrelease"
  /* #undef KRB5_RELDATE */
  #define KRB5_RELTAG "krb5-1-4"

Windows uses a dotted quad version number.  We've been hard coding the
fourth value to 0 in the windows/version.rc file.   The problem is that
when we issue betas and then final releases and now a second kfw release
without a krb5 version number change, the installers don't know to
update the files when applying the new version of the installer over
the old version since the version number did not change.

What we need to do is increment the KRB5_BUILDLEVEL for each release
we make whether public or private.  That way the installers can do the
right thing.

The version.rc file will be patched like this.

--- version.rc Wed Mar  8 23:33:32 2006
***************
*** 11,22 ****

  #define MAJOR_MINOR STR(KRB5_MAJOR_RELEASE) "." STR(KRB5_MINOR_RELEASE)

! #if KRB5_PATCH_LEVEL != 0
  #define MAYBE_PATCH "." STR(KRB5_PATCHLEVEL)
  #else
  #define MAYBE_PATCH ""
  #endif

  #ifdef KRB5_RELTAIL
  #define RELTAIL "-" KRB5_RELTAIL
  #else
--- 11,28 ----

  #define MAJOR_MINOR STR(KRB5_MAJOR_RELEASE) "." STR(KRB5_MINOR_RELEASE)

! #if KRB5_PATCHLEVEL != 0
  #define MAYBE_PATCH "." STR(KRB5_PATCHLEVEL)
  #else
  #define MAYBE_PATCH ""
  #endif

+ #if KRB5_BUILDLEVEL != 0
+ #define MAYBE_BUILD "." STR(KRB5_BUILDLEVEL)
+ #else
+ #define MAYBE_BUILD ""
+ #endif
+
  #ifdef KRB5_RELTAIL
  #define RELTAIL "-" KRB5_RELTAIL
  #else
***************
*** 37,46 ****

  /* we're going to stamp all the DLLs with the same version number */

! #define K5_PRODUCT_VERSION_STRING MAJOR_MINOR MAYBE_PATCH RELTAIL "\0"
! #define K5_PRODUCT_VERSION        KRB5_MAJOR_RELEASE,
KRB5_MINOR_RELEASE, KRB5_PATCHLEVEL, 0

! #define K5_COPYRIGHT "Copyright (C) 1997-2004 by the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology\0"
  #define K5_COMPANY_NAME "Massachusetts Institute of Technology.\0"

  /*

  /* we're going to stamp all the DLLs with the same version number */

! #define K5_PRODUCT_VERSION_STRING MAJOR_MINOR MAYBE_PATCH MAYBE_BUILD
RELTAIL "\0"
! #define K5_PRODUCT_VERSION        KRB5_MAJOR_RELEASE,
KRB5_MINOR_RELEASE, KRB5_PATCHLEVEL, KRB5_BUILDLEVEL

! #define K5_COPYRIGHT "Copyright (C) 1997-2006 by the Massachusetts