Password sync plugin, and questions about plugin criticality

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Jun 26 09:09:49 EDT 2006

>This looks fine to me in principle (although the initialization
>should be able to return a value indicating failure).

I went back and forth about this; I don't have a strong feeling in
the matter, so I guess I'll add a return value.

>That said, I don't mind the approach Netscape took with the SLAPI
>plugin API for their directory server (Sun, OpenLDAP, IBM all use
>the same interface). If we are looking for a plugin API we can
>generalize to other interfaces and is extensible without breaking
>ABI compatability, something similar might we worth looking into.

Well, the problem is that I have to fit into the MIT plugin architecture.
That sort of drives what the interfaces look like.

>In this case it might look something like:
>
>/* kapi-plugin.h */
>typedef struct kapi_pblock Kapi_PBlock;
>int kapi_pblock_get(Kapi_PBlock *, int, void *);
>int kapi_pblock_set(Kapi_PBlock *, int, void *);
>[...]

I don't think I follow this; how exactly is this supposed to work?
Specifically, I don't understand what kapi_pblock_* is doing.

--Ken