Update config.{guess,sub}?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Jun 18 22:31:45 EDT 2006

Ken Raeburn <raeburn at MIT.EDU> writes:

> There shouldn't be any local modifications in those files.  It should
> probably be safe to update them, but I suggest taking a quick look in
> case they've tweaked how any architectures are labeled.  E.g., if
> config.guess used to generate foo-bar-baz and now generates foo1-bar-
> baz or foo2-bar-baz based on processor types, any configuration code
> we've got that looks for foo-bar-baz will no longer work.  We don't do a
> lot of that, but we do a little in some places.

There are a *lot* of changes, but reading them over, the only ones that
seemed to run a high risk of changing existing output were changes to how
openbsd and darwin systen names were generated.  The former doesn't appear
to be used anywhere in the source tree, and the latter is only used in a
generic form that won't be affected by the change (which was showing the
real architecture for Intel Macs, not hard-coding i686).