concerns with ldap plugin and 1.5

Rahul Srinivas srahul at novell.com
Tue Jun 6 07:47:28 EDT 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Will Fiveash wrote:

> > >     Rahul> Hi, Principals are created by default under the realm's
> > >     Rahul> subtree (the 'subtree' argument to 'kdb5_ldap_util create')
> > >     Rahul> as service principals.  This can be overridden by one of
> > >     Rahul> the following database specific options in 'kadmin'
> > >     Rahul> 1. userdn=<user_dn> : Specifies the user object with which
> > >     Rahul> the Kerberos user principal is to be associated.
> > >     Rahul> 2. containerdn=<container_dn> : Specifies the container
> > >     Rahul> object under which the Kerberos service principal is to be
> > >     Rahul> created.
> > >
> > > OK, so if kdb5_util were made to have a clean enough interface so that
> > > it didn't assume db2 and you tried loading a dump, it would work, you
> > > would just get an ugly directory structure resulting.
> >
> > That was my expectation.
>
> To elaborate, I was expecting that I could do a kdb5_util load and it
> would recreate the KDB under the ldap_kerberos_container_dn.  I
> understand that the problem becomes harder if one has krbPrincipalAux
> attributes associated with non-krb structural classes like user or host.

Firstly, a small correction. Kerberos principals are not created under
'ldap_kerberos_container_dn'. 'ldap_kerberos_container_dn' specifies the
location of a Kerberos container in the directory. It contains objects of
objectclass 'krbRealmContainer'. There is one realm-container per realm.
The realm container contains only special principals like 'krbtgt',
'kadmin/admin' etc. All other principals are created under the realm
subtree (the 'subtree' argument to 'kdb5_ldap_util create').

If loading all principals from the Kerberos db2 database directly into the
realm subtree (LDAP database) is what is desired, then implementing a basic
'load' command in 'kdb5_ldap_util' would be the way to go. On doing a
'load' we would then end up with a flat structure in the directory where
all principals will be in directory under the realm subtree. But we don't
think this is going to be useful. As Praveen explained earlier, 'load'
should also be able to associate Kerberos principals with existing user
objects in the Directory.

-Rahul S.