concerns with ldap plugin and 1.5

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at sun.com
Thu Jun 1 12:38:11 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 07:53:57PM -0500, Will Fiveash wrote:
> - As Nico points out in another e-mail, several principal attributes
>   (last_success, last_failed, failed_auth_count) found in the
>   krb5_db_entry struct are not found in the current schema.  Is there a
>   reason they are missing?

I think failed_auth_count is really difficult to get right with standard
directory servers.

For some DSs you might have to write plug-ins for them to handle
concurrent increments/resets correctly.  Other DSs may not fare as well.

Sam points to draft-zeilenga-ldap-incr-01.txt...  But I'd rather see a
solution that works with off-the-shelf directory servers.  Perhaps
something where the KDC creates bad login log entries as new objects of
a logging class; then to implement N-strikes requires querying for
recent log entries...  The cost is an extra search per-AS-REQ processed
(but the N-strikes processing could be done elsewhere).

Nico