Proxy for Kerberos?

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 25 11:30:21 EDT 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 4:05 AM, krbdev-request at mit.edu wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:11:38 -0400
> From: Jiva DeVoe <jiva at devoesquared.com>
> Subject: Proxy for Kerberos?
> To: krbdev at mit.edu
>
> Tell me if this is inherently wrong-thinking...
>
> I want to access a kerberos server that is behind a firewall without
> exposing the kerberos port to the internet.  So I want to proxy it
> through a tunnel.  I am guessing that Kerberos may have some sort of
> built-in preventative measures within itself to prevent spoofing or
> something like that which would cause this not to work.  Is this
> true?   If not, is there any reason this wouldn't work?

I think you're asking for trouble trying to do this.

An argument I've made many times is that it's better to expose
Kerberos itself than the service for a proprietary (unreviewed) VPN/
tunneling product.  The Kerberos protocol has gotten lots of review
over the years.

The only way a tunnel might be better is if it uses e.g. a smart card
instead of a password to authenticate users.
----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu