Error while compiling krb 1.5

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Jul 5 12:23:35 EDT 2006

>Not really intending to stick my nose in, but I think this may be interesting
>food to ponder...
>
>No one has stated which version of what OS is involved here, other than
>Shivakeshav's comment about using Solaris, but it may be worthwhile reading
>this Sun blog entry about static linking going away starting with Solaris 10.
>Rod Evans has a good explanation of what is happening, and why:

That doesn't actually affect me.  These executables aren't actually
static in the sense that this article describes.  There are what I
called "semi-static" - they're linked with the shared version of the
system libraries, but static versions of the Kerberos libraries.  This
is still going to be supported on Solaris 10, as this article describes
(in fact the binaries I distribute work compiled for Solaris 8 work
just fine on Solaris 10).  The issue really is one of packaging ... it's
relatively easy to give a user a few binaries, but if they have to start
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH or other stuff, things start getting complicated
very quickly.

--Ken