Error while compiling krb 1.5

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 5 06:52:40 EDT 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 06:28, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> Kerberos 1.5 does not support building without shared libraries.
>
> Is there a technical reason for this or is this just the way the
> build system
> works?

More like the way the build system fails to work, at the moment.
The support for building dynamically loadable modules (which are not
always the same as shared libraries), selected on a per-directory
basis (instead of via configure options as with static vs shared),
doesn't currently interact well with the configure/makefile support
for building static libraries.

That is something we'd like to clean up, though it hasn't been high
on our priority list, because so far as we're aware it's not urgent
for most other people either; we expect the most popular and most
important use cases by far to involve deploying shared libraries
only.  (We could be wrong.  But so far I think this is only the
second complaint we've heard since putting out the pre-1.5 test
releases.)  Higher priority has been stuff like the dynamically
loadable module support (infrastructure, KDC database interface,
service location interface) and some other bits of new
functionality.  (Some of which, unfortunately, still didn't make our
1.5 deadline, and will probably be in 1.5.1 or 1.6.)

That said, we probably should've put a note in the release notes, and/
or disabled the configure-time option with a message explaining the
lack of static-library support for the moment....

Ken