SASL/GSSAPI bind in LDAP plugin?

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 16 18:33:23 EST 2006

Thinking about using Kerberos for a KDC to access a DS backend gives
me a headache.  Having a multi-threaded DS probably helps, but it
makes the headache worse.

On Feb 16, 2006, at 2:47 PM, Will Fiveash wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:48:36PM -0800, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>>

>> I don't think this answers the question.  If you're using Kerberized
>> replication utilities then you need to configure slave machines to
>> authenticate against an external kdc to bootstrap.  This has nothing
>> to do with LDAP back-ends.
>
> I originally started this thread trying to understand a scenario like
> the one pictured below (figure thanks to JavE):
>
>    +-------+     +-------+       +-------+
>    |  KDC  |     |  KDC  |       |  KDC  |
>    +--|----+     +--+----+       +-.-'---+
>        `-.          |           .-'
>           `-.       |        .-'
>              `.     |     .-'
>                `-.  |  .-'
>                   `-.-'
>                +---------+
>                | DS/KDC  |
>                | (KDB)   |
>                +---------+

For this to be reasonable I think you would want approximately as
many DS's as KDC's.  I guess the original proposal was that the DS/
KDC would be used to support a cold startup, but no user interaction
(otherwise what are the pure KDC's for?).  Given good geographic
distribution of servers and external authentication I suppose warm-
starts would be easy.

OR:  are we considering an architecture where the Kerberos master has
its database in LDAP, but the Kerberos slaves get theirs via kprop?

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu